Exceptional Situations in Javascript

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Mar 27 08:39:39 PDT 2007

That ship sailed with Edition 3, sorry. The Java precedent weighed
heavily on TG1 and we have never revisited. I wasn't involved much in
ES3 (1998, mozilla.org creation), but I remember that we knew about
the alternative approach, both from Lisp and from some ex-PARC Mesa
folks at Netscape at the time. Shaver may remember more.

Apart from the history, we haven't heard this request enough to pull
our focus. Apart from TG1, the idea comes up in the context of
debugger design, where it can be addressed outside of the language.

/be