Object ID's

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Mar 20 23:41:18 PDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 10:22 PM, Graydon Hoare wrote:

>> Flash Dictionary users who rely on weakKeys = true should pipe up for
>> the use-cases that require this.
>
> I admit to not having considered that scenario. Perhaps a general
> Weak<T> type would do?

In the spirit of intrinsic::hashcode, a WeakRef.<T> built-in type
would give library authors the tools needed to make their own
dictionary classes till the cows come home. But again I would hope
that we could provide one simple, guaranteed-to-be-there, default
implementation.

We still might want WeakRef.<T> for other use-cases.