Object ID's

Neil Mix nmix at pandora.com
Tue Mar 20 22:48:20 PDT 2007

On Mar 20, 2007, at 6:30 PM, Lars T Hansen wrote:

> Sure, but the most I can do is write a clear spec.  If a programmer
> reads guarantees into the spec that are not there (or indeed does not
> understand the non-guarantees spelled out) then there's not much I can
> do.

Developers read documentation?  ;P  The spec is very clear (thank you
Lars), anyone who reads it and jumps to the wrong conclusion has it
coming to them.  I worry more about developers who see the method
listed in reference docs that proliferate on the web (devguru.com,
gotAPI.com, etc), the reliability of which may be questionable.  A
globally scoped method named hashcode with a summary of "returns a
hashcode for the given object"... well let's just say that I could
see a younger version of me making an assumption I ought not.  ;)

I think the global scoping is my concern, it looks too all-purpose in
that context.  Hence scoping to Brendan's proposed class suits me
just fine.