Object ID's

Lars T Hansen lth at acm.org
Tue Mar 20 18:09:16 PDT 2007

On 3/20/07, Peter Hall <peter.hall at memorphic.com> wrote:
> > So far we've failed to put a Dict type into the language; the utility
> > is understood but there's not been a critical push.  At this point it
> > may have been back-burnered long enough to be postponed until 5th
> > Edition.
> >

> It *feels* more critical than the lambda syntax that is getting so
> much attention in the other current thread.

Amen to that, though there are several kinds of dictionary types one
could discuss, from the simple property-less object type (more
primitive than Object) to elaborate dictionary classes.

> What is needed in order to
> push this? I use AS3's Dictionary quite regularly for its weak keys,
> and I imagine there would be growing need in JS as the number and
> complexity of ajax apps increases.

We're technically way beyond the deadline for adding something like
weak tables (not something one implements on the user level) so I
don't know what it would take, really.  ByteArray made it in late but
it's a very simple proposal.

--lars