instance vs. prototype [was: String finality (was: Re: ARGUMENTS.SHOULD.BE.ARRAY bug-fix)]

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Tue Mar 20 05:33:51 PDT 2007

On 2007-03-19, at 17:08 EDT, Brendan Eich wrote:

> instance-bound and
> type-constrained |this| methods

<lightbulb />

I have puzzled over the difference between defining an instance
method and a prototype method, maybe I finally see the light.  What
you pointed out about the binding of `this` in the former and not the
latter was not obvious to me from the spec.  Should it have been?
Are there other differences?  What about instance vs. prototype for
`var`?  (Other than that you can dynamically change the prototype
value.)