Expression closures - use-cases for shortcut lambda syntax (blocks)

Vassily Gavrilyak gavrilyak at
Sat Mar 17 14:22:27 PDT 2007

> The API in question supports either one argument or two, actually. We
> ended up supporting both because of syntax economy.
>but people prefer to use MochiKit.Base.method(obj, methodName)
because they don't
> have to type as much.
That's exactly what we are discussing here, just a syntax sugar for
less typing and reading.
In this particular case - (obj,method) - people will use it even in
typed language (ES4).
I saw also people providing sortBy(nameOfProperty) method, untyped,
just to save keystrokes in C# and write
people.SortBy("name", "desc");
instead of right way
people.Sort(delegate(Person a, Person b){ return > ;})
The same method is present in ActionScript actually.
Now this is easy to fix and C# 3 fixed, providing inference and
anonymouse functions shortcuts

Now people can write shortly and typed
people.OrderBy( it =>
ES4 is almost as good, but still longer
So people would still use shorter untyped version.