Function declarations in statements

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Mar 16 21:46:03 PDT 2007

I've never seen web content that uses a named function expression and
expects the name to be bound in the variable object of the execution
context. I don't recall any such bug ever being filed with
bugzilla.mozilla.org. We always implemented ES3, which says that the
name binds in an Object instance created to scope the function object
in its context's scope chain, so that the function can refer to
itself. Sorry to belabor the obvious for those of you who know ES3.

The IE JScript bug should be fixed. It's just a deviation from the
standard, as far as I can tell.