Function declarations in statements

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Mar 16 19:27:52 PDT 2007

On Mar 16, 2007, at 7:07 PM, Yuh-Ruey Chen wrote:

> Unfortunately, I don't think we can force function declarations to be
> "initialized run-time" since it's a backwards incompatible change.

Only with certain implementations of function statements -- namely
IE's and Opera's (which intentionally cloned IE).

Since this is an ES3 extension, allowed by chapter 16, we could
codify the majority-share practice, except that it sucks. We have so
far avoided specifying function statements, preferring to leave them
to implementations to experiment with, on into the ES4 future.