Expression closures - use-cases for shortcut lambda syntax (blocks)

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Fri Mar 16 04:53:07 PDT 2007

On 2007-03-16, at 04:58 EDT, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Seriously, we are not going to inject any alien syntax. Vassily
> proposed a shorthand in expression closures: \ for function. Let's
> try to get back to that.

I don't see the value, except for the 'obfuscated Javascript
contest'.  If you make that many closures in a day, why not bind c-\
to insert `function` in your editor?  I would rather programs were
easy to read than easy to write, since I spend a lot more time doing
the former.  [Another pet peeve:  I wish `!` were spelled `not`.  It
is too easy to overlook.]