Expression closures - use-cases for shortcut lambda syntax (blocks)

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Mar 15 19:38:18 PDT 2007

Peter Hall scripsit:
> I think, once I've figured out how to actually type "?" on my UK
> keyboard (I actually don't know how to enter 0x03BB in my keyboard, I
> had to paste from charmap), I might as well have typed "function(".

Hence the desire to allow \ as a synonym.

> Also, "?" is a perfectly permissable character for an identifier.
> Wouldn't it cause problems to  give it special meaning? (for Greeks
> especially)

Not really, no more than it causes problems to give "if" special
meaning.

John Cowan   http://ccil.org/~cowan  cowan at ccil.org
[P]olice in many lands are now complaining that local arrestees are insisting
on having their Miranda rights read to them, just like perps in American TV
cop shows.  When it's explained to them that they are in a different country,
where those rights do not exist, they become outraged.  --Neal Stephenson