Expression closures - use-cases for shortcut lambda syntax (blocks)

Jon Zeppieri zeppieri at
Thu Mar 15 18:35:09 PDT 2007

On 3/15/07, Brendan Eich <brendan at> wrote:
> I am warming up to this use of backslash. What do others think?

> Syntax matters, it's the user interface. It is not too late, but it
> is late. We should discuss pros and cons here in a thread.

PLT Scheme allows λ for 'lambda'.  JS could allow λ for 'function' and
backslash as a poor-man's λ.  I know it's lame to add two synonyms for
function, but it's also lame to use backslash explicitly as a
lambda-lookalike in a language that already accepts lambdas in
identifier syntax.