extracting namespace from a property

Peter Hall peter.hall at memorphic.com
Thu Mar 1 12:43:56 PST 2007

> > IIRC you are allowed to have a dynamic subclass of a non-dynamic
> > superclass (Jeff correct me if I'm wrong). dynamic is not inherited,
> > and applied to a class, it affects only mutability of instances
> > (whether one can add "expandos", i.e. whether the class "seals"
> > instances), again if my memory is correct. Others should correct me
> > or add more information as needed.

I can't see it in the spec, but I was under the impression that, in
general, dynamic *is* inherited, but Object is made a special
exception to avoid making every object being dynamic. This is
important because any code that relies on the fact that an object is
dynamic (including the class itself) would break if the object turned
out to be an instance of a subclass that didn't declare itself
dynamic.

Peter