Date.parse return type

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Jul 23 11:27:32 PDT 2007

On Jul 23, 2007, at 10:23 AM, doekman at gmail.com wrote:

> In the public Date/time proposal, the Date.parse static method
> returns a Date. This is a bit odd, because the current javascript
> Date.parse method returns a number (nr. of ms since epoch). Is this
> by design?

That's a mistake, which Lars noticed and corrected recently.

> Is there some compatibility-strategy defined? I couldn't find one...

The strategy is backward compatibility except in a few hard cases
where the current (since 1997, ES1) semantics are so confusing and
buggy that cleanups probably improve real-world code correctness. See
http://developer.mozilla.org/es4/proposals/bug_fixes.html.