delegating to typed objects

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Sat Jul 21 09:00:41 PDT 2007

On Jul 21, 2007, at 7:13 AM, Kris Zyp wrote:

> So does this mean that the verdict has been reached for whether or
> not new
> objects from function constructors can be classes?

I pointed out that ES3 does not do what you seem to want here
(functions as auxiliary constructors for classes). In ES1-3, new F
always makes an Object. It doesn't matter if F.prototype = new
String. So we're not going to change this incompatibly for ES4.

> It looks like from the
> bug report that |this| binding will occur to the class instance.
> What is
> still open for comment?

Incompatible changes without new syntax to trigger them are beyond
the pale. Other issues such as how |this| binds, a grand unified
theory of |this| binding, are good trac ticket (and indeed es4-
discuss first) fodder.