Speaking of Lisp...

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Fri Jan 5 18:59:02 PST 2007

On 1/6/07, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> Sounds like one vote for a Dictionary class.  Could you cite some
> URLs documenting Proxy and Dictionary from the Flex SDK (I'm assuming
> these are not "AS3" but "host" types).

A Dictionary class would be useful I think. Looking around the web for
'javascript associative arrays' will show quite a few hits where
people have hit the problem of objects in the prototype being picked
up without them realising this would happen.

Although 'hasOwnProperty' can be used to avoid this it doesn't work in
all cases. For example, in Firefox all objects return true for
hasOwnProperty('__proto__'). So using an object as a Dictionary has to
handle issues like this.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz