Question about spec

rasmus ekman rasmus.ekman at abc.se
Wed Aug 22 14:17:17 PDT 2007

Just an arbitrary newbie question...
I note that the updated UnaryExpression BNF
codifies part of the behaviour of ES-262 implementations:

UnaryExpression ->
	PostfixExpression
	| delete PostfixExpression
	| void UnaryExpression
	| typeof UnaryExpression
	| ++ PostfixExpression
	| -- PostfixExpression
	| + UnaryExpression
	| - UnaryExpression
(etc)

So ++++a is ruled out at syntax level, and -++a is legal while ++-a isn't.
This matches (part of) behaviour of current implementations.

But is ++a++ going to become legal?

In IE ++a++ etc are reported as runtime errors.
Seamonkey code goes directly to MemberExpression after matching ++/--,
is this the intention? If so, why not in spec?

More generally, is there a reason for deferring to runtime
if it is knowable at parse time that a construct is anyway going to be an error?
(I'm thinking of detail issues like the above, but have no particular
examples at hand where seamonkey defers to runtime)

Thanks,

	re