Program configuration [Was: class prototype object vs class instance properties]

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Mon Aug 20 11:16:54 PDT 2007

On 2007-08-20, at 13:21 EDT, Jeff Dyer wrote:

> ActionScript will have something like this soon in its program
> configuration feature. It is described here:
>
> http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=proposals:program_configuration

Interesting that you rejected the use of Javascript control flow for
configuration.  That is what we use in LZX.  Effectively we just
require that if statements involving configuration variables be
optimized at compile time.  (We don't currently permit expressions on
configuration variables and we don't have a language for defining
configuration variables.)  The benefit we saw is that the programmer
does not need to learn anything new to understand configuration.