Comments to the JSON related proposals

Simon Bünzli zeniko at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 09:56:20 PDT 2007

Kris Zyp schrieb am 20.08.07 16:57:
>> question arises: How would ad-hoc transient properties be set or
>> initialized in any old object?
> With classes being available, why not provide a pathway for developers
> to define transience correctly in proper OO manner that would be
> serialization method agnostic, rather than adding a blacklisted array
> parameter to toJSONString, which IMHO is very poor and shortsighted way
> of defining transient/temporary keys?

What you suggest sounds like a good enhancement to what I've proposed
(in fact, I hadn't considered ECMAScript as an OOL at all). I'd still
keep the blacklist though for the following reasons:

* Legacy-code (i.e. ECMAScript 3 code) may want to take advantage of
toJSONString without converting all expando'd objects to classes.

* Having to set transciency for temporary/internal attributes may result
in code in places where it doesn't really matter or even belong at all.

E.g. in our use case (Firefox' SessionStore service), JSON export has
been modularly added and takes advantage of the fact that our internal
data structures nicely map into JSON. Inside the core service, the
temporary keys aren't transient per se - they just shouldn't be
serialized for our JSON API. For different API, we might even to
serialize a different set of keys, which would not be easily possible
with setting transciency in the core code. So either we have a blacklist
(or a less efficient way for filtering out keys), or we'd have to clone
our object first which won't be more efficient than just doing the JSON
conversion ourselves in JavaScript.

* Even for code written against ECMAScript 4, you'd force a strict class
model where expando'd objects would be sufficient (not everybody likes
the rigidity of an OO class model - especially for RAD):

var obj = { some: 1, key: "text" };
obj.expandoed = [-1, -2, -3];
// potentially lots and lots of unrelated code...
obj.toJSONString(); // how to temporarily ignore some keys here?

~sb