Self type

Peter Hall peter.hall at memorphic.com
Fri Aug 17 07:35:14 PDT 2007

I think my confusion here, is perhaps that I'm seeing this a slightly
different way. What you are saying seems to suggest that Self type
annotations can behave differently at runtime. To me, this example
from the wiki should be an error:

type T1 = { f:function(this:Self, z:Self):Self, w:int}
var x:T1 = { ... }:T1
type T2 = { f:function(this:Self, z:Self):Self }
var y:T2 = x; // ERROR

Because the types are equivalent to:

type T1 = { f:function(this:T1, z:T1):T1, w:int}
type T2 = { f:function(this:T2, z:T2):T2}

So T1's f and T2's f are incompatible. In a real situation, an author
would have to be a bit more careful about how the types are defined,
and probably use wildcard types or Object (or perhaps fully expanded
type definitions) where necessary. But I think that is better than
having wildcards inserted automatically behind the scenes.

Peter