Separating a Hash type from Object

Brad Fults bfults at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 11:59:25 PDT 2007

As has been previously noted [1] and should be general knowledge, the
confusion and collision between Object-as-hash and
Object-as-inherited-from is sometimes painful in ES3.

I looked through the latest ES4 spec and proposals [2] but didn't see
anything about changing the way hashes are handled. Are there any
plans to derive a Hash type from Object which would handle what are
now object literals (as hash literals)? If not, can there be?

This would solve many of the contemporary problems with Object (like
extending Object.prototype to include methods like .keys(), .values(),
etc.). I'm interested to hear others' thoughts on this.

Thanks.

[1] - http://erik.eae.net/archives/2005/06/06/22.13.54
[2] - http://developer.mozilla.org/es4/

--