JSON decoding

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 26 10:09:55 PDT 2006

On Oct 26, 2006, at 11:22 AM, Douglas Crockford wrote:

> Brendan Eich wrote:
>> Doug, what do you think?
>
> I think this is getting out of hand. What was originally intended
> was a convenient little serializer that would be a little faster
> and more convenient than the current json.js. Bob wants to turn it
> into a transformation engine.

It seems to me Bob's point is that we shouldn't let the extension
mechanism produce arbitrary strings that get included in the string
result of the standard (non-extension-mechanism) JSON encoder,
because people will produce bent JSON-nails if you give them only a
string-hammer.  Give them a self-leveling power screwdriver instead,
to stretch the metaphor.  This means the extension mechanism cannot
be the same method as the standard encoder.

I'll draft a patch to the current proposal to illustrate this,
without complexifying things too much.