SML vs Ocaml for ECMA script spec.

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.com
Tue Oct 24 05:07:57 PDT 2006

On Oct 21, 2006, at 2:02 PM, Daniel C. Wang wrote:

> P.S. You guys obviously have enough taste to be thinking of using
> any ML for the language spec. So, I'm sure after you review all the
> facts you'll do the right thing again and choose SML.

Flattery will get you everywhere ;-).

We are agreed now on SML, using SMLNJ.  Our flirtation with OCaml was
based on convenience and familiarity, but as I noted in another
message, we were committed to using a small core language, plus
continuation support of some kind (for OCaml this meant a patch; with
SMLNJ, no patch).

Dave will post to LtU soon, I'm sure.