JSON decoding

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Oct 20 14:41:29 PDT 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 4:53 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> I'd imagine that for most values of N and M, that the latter is
> better. When M is zero, which is probably usually will be, then there
> is no copy made. It also provides symmetry with decoding and is
> infinitely more flexible and useful.

I agree it's many times better to have a symmetric object hook.  I
was re-reading

http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/simplejson/trunk/docs/module-
simplejson.html#load

and wondered why you don't have an object hook for dump/dumps.  Also,
is there a way to have the object_hook cause the key/value for which
the object passed into the hook is the value to be skipped entirely?

You have infinitely more JSON encoding and decoding experience than I
do (and I mean that mathematically ;-).  Any more rationale on the
design decisions that you'd be willing to share here would be helpful.