Will there be a suggested file suffix for es4?

Peter Hall peterjoel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:47:13 PDT 2006

I don't think there can be a standard suffix. ActionScript uses .as
and I can't imagine that changing it would be a popular decision with
users. It should be down to the people who define the language's
environment to determine the suffix, whether that is Netscape defining
JS or Adobe defining AS, because the same suffix would imply
compatibility, while each environment provides different native
objects and uses the language in a different way.

On the other hand, it would be a shame if my AS project cannot share
some of the classes from my JS project. So I would be in favour of
ECMAScript specifying that a conforming implementation does not
require a specific extension, and leave it up to NetScape to recommend
using .js for JavaScript, to cover any MIME requirments, if they
exist.

Peter