Will there be a suggested file suffix for es4?

Steven Johnson stejohns at adobe.com
Tue Oct 3 14:01:15 PDT 2006

> There are already variants of ECMA-262 languages that have
> suffixes (.js, .as most conspicuous).  Let a thousand
> suffixes bloom?

I suspect this is precisely what will happen if we don't recommend a
suffix.

While it's true that tools should be able to discern based on content,
explorer/finder/your-shell-name-here is much less likely to do so, and
IMHO the ability to filter out ES4 files at this level is likely to be
much more useful than the difference between ECMA-262 languages.

".es4" (or ".es", or ".js2", or...) are indeed kinda sucky ("like a skin
disease", indeed), but I'd much rather have one kinda-sucky-but-standard
suffix than 3 or 4 different ones (see: ".cp", ".cpp", ".cxx", ".cc",
etc...)