Date.prototype.getTime

Gordon Smith gosmith at adobe.com
Wed Jun 28 15:07:58 PDT 2006

Regarding the suggestion that an int be used to represent the number of
milliseconds since 1970...

There have been approximately one trillion milliseconds since then, and
an int can't store more than about 2 billion. Aren't
milliseconds-since-the-epoch represented as a float not because this
number can or should be fractional but because a float can store
integers up to 2^52 (2^53?) or so rather than 2^31?

- Gordon