Date.prototype.getTime

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jun 28 09:50:32 PDT 2006

P T Withington scripsit:

> Date.tick:  getter returning an integer that increases linearly with
> elapsed time and is guaranteed to increase by at least 1 when
> accessed successively.  (I.e., can be used to measure the elapsed
> time of a trivial expression.)
>
> Date.tickScale:  float that is the ratio of Date.tick units to
> nanoseconds.

This is problematic.  In order to guarantee the given property of
Date.tick (that successive calls return distinct values), the
tick scale will have to be fine-grained enough that its results
will readily overflow the integral range of an IEEE double.

Unless you mean that the first call to Date.tick in a given
program may return 0, in which case there is no problem.

--
We are lost, lost.  No name, no business, no Precious, nothing.  Only empty.
Only hungry: yes, we are hungry.  A few little fishes, nassty bony little