Date.prototype.getTime

Jeff Walden jwalden at MIT.EDU
Tue Jun 27 18:34:42 PDT 2006

P T Withington wrote:
> I am wondering if the new standard should encourage implementors to
> return a value with as much precision as the underlying hardware/OS
> permits?

I would assume this doesn't really need to be specified and will be assumed by implementers (at worst in response to user demands) as much as is practical, but then again, I've never spec'd or implemented a programming language.

> Or, is there already a better, more accurate way to measure elapsed
> time?  Or, should there be?

I was under the impression that the following was more idiomatic, but I could be wrong:

> var before = Date.now();
> doStuff();
> var after = Date.now();
> var elapsedTime = after - before;