Concurrency support?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jun 26 15:58:41 PDT 2006

Brendan Eich scripsit:

> Apart from the EIBTI doctrine, and I think as important for the
> members of ECMA TG1, is the practical problem of over-constraining
> implementations to be able to save and restore whole native+scripted-
> function call stacks, not simply resume a generator function via
> next, send, or throw.  An optimizing compiler may have to deoptimize
> based on the indirect call relation, which in the presence of
> packages and eval is undecideable, so speculative code generation
> with fallback would be required in full.  A tiny tree-walking
> interpreter may have to switch from natural host recursion to an
> explicit control stack, just to support the proposed feature.

I don't follow this.  A tiny interpreter will have to escape from
natural host recursion anyway just in order to do simple Python/Icon
generators, and I don't see that yielding within C functions is
so essential to the concept -- I'd be happy with just what Lua
(unJITted) provides.

--
Mark Twain on Cecil Rhodes:                    John Cowan
I admire him, I freely admit it,               http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
and when his time comes I shall                cowan at ccil.org
buy a piece of the rope for a keepsake.