Concurrency support?

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Mon Jun 26 14:09:10 PDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org> wrote:
> Yes, and that is a concern for us, for Rhino's Continuation object
> implementation (which cannot cross Java native frames), as for
> Python.

There are ways around the inability to yield across C stack frames. A
Jit was recently announced for Lua that supports yielding from C
functions and returning to them (provided by the Coco patch):

http://luajit.luaforge.net/coco.html

I like the addition of generators to Javascript but not being able to
yield from functions called from the generator is a pain. But that
model has been in use for a while in the Python world - do they find
it a practical limitation?

I am a big fan of providing the tools for people to build these sorts
of things as libraries though. Native delimited continuations in
Javascript would enable coroutines, etc to be added on as libraries.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz