Concurrency support?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Mon Jun 26 11:58:54 PDT 2006

Graydon Hoare scripsit:

> If this is what PEP 342 is proposing

I think your analysis is right, though I had been hoping there was something
better available.

> then I must admit the lua strategy
> seems much more appealing: make any "yield" expression return control to
> the nearest dynamic "resume". That would let the low level i/o functions
> know about yield points, and all the logic inbetween the scheduler and
> the i/o functions ignore them.

Indeed.

> So, follow-on question: what's *wrong* with the lua strategy? Moreover,
> why did the python strategy turn out this way? Did the python group just
> not understand the better strategy? Were they concerned about the
> restriction of being unable to yield through C stack frames? That seems
> unlikely since the same restriction probably applies to PEP 324 yields.
>
> Maybe they were bound by semi-compatibility with the existing (and even
> weaker) iterator/generator scheme in earlier python versions?

That seems plausible.  In Python without this PEP, the caller need not
know whether a procedure is being invoked as a coroutine or a subroutine,
whereas in Lua any procedure can be invoked either way: natively as
a subroutine, or using the coroutine creation functions as a coroutine.
The Python situation can be trivially emulated in Lua by creating a
facade that is invoked as a subroutine and invokes the real coroutine
as a coroutine.

--
John Cowan  cowan at ccil.org  http://ccil.org/~cowan
And now here I was, in a country where a right to say how the country should