Concurrency support?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Jun 26 07:18:10 PDT 2006

On Jun 26, 2006, at 9:53 AM, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> There's been a lot of creativity in the past years about the way of
> using continuations. I think we can except new paradigms in the future
> as well. As a compiler writer, I prefer to be able to directly use
> call/cc in the generated code and libraries instead of rewrapping and
> sometimes abusing the standard ES4 library.

This gets to the heart of an issue that Nicolas has discussed with me
in private email: is ES4/JS2 likely to be a high-level language used
by programmers who write large parts of their programs by hand, or is
it likely to be a mid-level or "variable level" safe target language
whose programs compilers generate based on other inputs (haXe, Google
GWT, etc.)?

It's a good question, and I don't have an uncracked crystal ball.

I have a feeling that even with the rise of compilers (which our
introduction of a new version of ES/JS may cause to become even more
common), "a lot of" future ES4 code will be written by hand, and by
people who do not need full call/cc, and who probably should not have
access to it.