Nullablity

Jeff Dyer jodyer at adobe.com
Fri Jun 23 10:14:25 PDT 2006

From: Brendan Eich

> Remember, I am in favor of nullability being explicit, "opt in".  I
> also don't think ActionScript 3 or JScript.NET compatibility ties
> ECMA TG1's hands, so let's get that out of the way.

Agreed. It doesn't tie our hands, but breaking compatibility with an
existing implementation has a short term cost that needs to be weighed
against the (mostly long-term) benefit of improving the language. Until
we have a specific proposal on the table it is hard to predict the cost
of such a change. Clearly a proposal that allows AS3 code that is free
of null pointer errors to compile and run unchanged would be much
preferred to proposals that don't.

Jeff