Nullablity

P T Withington ptw at pobox.com
Thu Jun 22 19:21:52 PDT 2006

On 2006-06-22, at 21:15 EDT, Brendan Eich wrote:

> Curl requires initialization for let bindings?  (It's hard to tell
> from the online docs I've read.)

It is pretty hard to find anything about Curl on the web.

I may be mis-remembering but I don't think it _requires_ let bindings
to be initialized.  You can declare them to have a nullable type or a
type of `any`, in which case I believe they default to `null`.

Curl has two helpful conditional expressions `if-not-null` and `type-
switch`, in the body of these expressions the compiler infers that
variables are of the appropriate narrower type (avoiding the Java
idiom `if (x instanceof Y) { Y y = (Y)x; ...}`).