Nullablity

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Wed Jun 21 09:27:26 PDT 2006

Brendan Eich scripsit:

> 1.  Mindshare from Java, C#, and other languages that include null
> among the values of reference types.

This argument is strong but not overriding.

> 2.   The difficulty of initializing variables of non-nullable type
> with a sound default value.

At the syntax level this can be solved by not allowing such variable
declarations.  At the semantic level it's much deeper, and may justify
some language support for the Null Object pattern.  Statically typed
functional languages typically have a distinct variety of null for
each nullable type, and I think rightly so.

--
John Cowan      cowan at ccil.org        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        Is it not written, "That which is written, is written"?