Concurrency support?

Neil Mix nmix at pandora.com
Fri Jul 7 08:08:44 PDT 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 5:10 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> The design questions that bother me are:
>
> 1.  Comprehensibility to mere mortals.
[snip]
> By following Python we are using some leverage for 1, and even if
> you don't know Python, the current design (a kind of return from an
> iterator that allows resuming the iterator's underlying generator
> function where it left off) is simpler by one measure.

I've been contemplating this, and I'm wondering how the success of
comprehensibility as a design objective would be defined.

If you ask the question, "what are the components of this language
and how do they work?" then yes, I agree that python-style generators
are a bit more comprehensible.

If you ask the question, "how do I code my application using this
language?" then I would argue that coding in JavaScript is hard and
fairly incomprehensible (to mere mortals *and* immortals) for certain
classes of applications.

This difference in perspective looks like a tradeoff between
learnability and usability.  Does comprehensibility as described
above equate solely to learnability?  Does either concern have a
higher priority in the es4 design process?