Suggestions to triple quoted strings proposal

zwetan zwetan at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 05:17:47 PST 2006

On 12/13/06, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:
> Double quotes would probably be syntactically ambiguous. They look
> exactly like an empty string token...
>
> Even if you wormed around that, one of the most common use cases for
> triple quoted strings (in Python) is to facilitate documentation and
> doctests. Triple quotes can represent any syntactically valid code
> without using escapes (except of course, another set of triple
> quotes). If it were double quotes, empty string literals would have to
> be escaped (or '' would have to be used).
>
> Decorating the quote with some sigil doesn't make multi-line easier,
> nor does it get you around the escaping problem. Totally different use
> case with no feature overlap.

my concern is to have the multiline readable in the source code,
if I don't need it readable I don't really need multiline and TQS, I just use
a String, so now maybe the problem is the different point of view
about what is "easier"

I'm personally not interested in carrying the documentation of code
inside the code itself and I can bet a lot do not pursue this,
so I don't think the most common use case
for TQS in ES4 gonna be the same as in Python

but still TQS to define big chunk of readable text into the code
can be very usefull, even if not totally Python identical (and I do
like how Python do things, not bashing here).

zwetan