Interfaces without implementation are like a day without sunshine

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Aug 24 11:27:56 PDT 2006

I have argued for allowing method bodies in interfaces, but I've
failed to write up a proposal.  I'll give it a go unless my TG1
colleagues say that it's too late to take such a change.

Jeff, this is the generic programming pitch: often interfaces can be
implemented only in terms of other abstract methods, either in the
same interface or with type switch and calls to other interface
methods.  Implementations that can optimize may, but as Tucker points
out, in Java one ends up writing the same implementation over and
over.  IIRC you said something like the same thing happened with AS3
users during the evolution of the Flex SDK.