OAuth scalability

Chris Karlof ckarlof at mozilla.com
Tue Aug 19 16:57:34 PDT 2014

Hi Travis and Edwin,

Firefox Hello is the process of integrating with FxA and is scheduled to “launch” in Nightly on Sept 2.

I don’t expect this to immediately add significant additional load to the FxA auth server, but you never know. However, since Hello is integrating using our OAuth flow, we will see *some* load on our OAuth infrastructure (fxa-oauth-server and fxa-profile-server) whereas previously these services were getting only trivial load.

As Hello moves through the trains, we probably will see significant upticks in additional load, as we did with Sync.

-chris