CLA bot

Jared Hirsch 6a68 at mozilla.com
Fri Aug 15 11:54:25 PDT 2014

+ dev-webdev

On Aug 7, 2014, at 5:26 PM, Peter deHaan <pdehaan at mozilla.com> wrote:

> So, this was interesting...
> I submitted a PR against YUI for them to update to request at 2.40.0 (because reasons), and I got an automated GitHub comment from a `yahoocla` bot asking me to make sure I sign the Yahoo CLA:
> https://github.com/yui/yui3/pull/1934#issuecomment-51510788
>
> You click the link, authorize their GitHub app, type "I AGREE" into a text field, and hit submit to digitally sign their contributor CLA.
>
> It only took a few clicks, but made it pretty easy to sign a repo's CLA and contribute to their code base. Not sure what rules we have about CLA stuff, or if we just ask people to add their name to a CONTRIBUTORS file when they make an edit.

Interesting! I signed the Yahoo CLA a long time ago, you had to actually swap emails with somebody.

Mozilla has a mozilla-central-centric process for becoming a committer[1], which includes signing something CLA-ish[2]. I never actually did this until I needed access to the Mozilla build infrastructure for FxOS work, though.

Dunno how webdev projects have handled CLAs in general. Anybody have thoughts here?

Cheers,

Jared

[1] https://www.mozilla.org/hacking/committer/
[2] https://www.mozilla.org/hacking/committer/committers-agreement.pdf