ToS and PP updates

JR Conlin jrconlin at mozilla.com
Thu Aug 14 16:04:01 PDT 2014

On 2014/8/14 2:04 PM, Chris Karlof wrote:

> On Aug 14, 2014, at 12:44 PM, Peter deHaan <pdehaan at mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> Random question...
>>
>> So we have a ToS and PP for FxA/Sync and eventually FMD and probably Marketplace and lots of other services.
>> I vaguely recall a conversation about fxa-server (i think) capturing the user's preferred locale(s) and storing then in The Cloud.
>>
>> Say we decide to update the Find Mein Device ToS in the future and want to notify user's of the changes via email. Do we have any way of doing that? Are we storing a user's attached services anywhere (like the Profile server)? Or is the general expectation that the user just return to accounts.firefox.com/legal from time to time and check the dates to see if there have been recent changes to the ToS/PP?
>>
>> -peter
>

> We aren’t storing the user’s attached services centrally anywhere, outside of the Oauth server, which is more about tokens, not services.
>
> If we had to do to this today, I suspect we’d get the list of FxA uids from FMD and then join them with the FxA DB to get the list of emails. Not awesome, and I suspect it will have to start to hurt bad enough for us to build something in a more automated way.
>
> -chris

resending to the larger audience:

As a follow up, FMD tries very, very hard NOT to store any more PII than
is absolutely necessary. Obviously, with the ability to track an
individual as well as perform actions on their phone, we really don't
want that database any more attractive than it already is.

I'm quite happy sending some additional element of product ID to aid in
categorizing users as being "FMD". I feel that ID should control user
info, and thus, should also manage what services the user has signed up
for. (This would prevent a user from being "spammed" if there were
multiple announcements, for example.)

The problem then becomes the "Storing the ever growing list of
properties" issue, but I'm willing to cowardly run away after raising it.