Sign in to continue to…

Ryan Feeley rfeeley at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 27 13:28:51 PST 2013

Hi all,

Looking at my screenshot collection, I’ve noticed that Google has been moving very rapidly to a single web-based login experience. This is likely due to the fact that they are continually adding security features (e.g. two factor auth, backup codes, etc) which cannot be feasibly maintained in multiple interfaces.

Here’s a recent screenshot:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qndjqafrwkqq6k5/google-desktop.png

I logged into a guest account on my machine and then googled for site:accounts.google.com

I quickly was able to find the login screen customized for over two dozen properties. Pretty neat. I the last one in the list is the text for managing the accounts.

One account. All of Google.

Sign in to continue to AdMob
Sign in to continue to Blogger
Sign in to continue to Gmail
Sign in to continue to Google Alerts
Sign in to continue to Google Calendar
Sign in to continue to Google Cloud Print
Sign in to continue to Google Display Network Ad Planner
Sign in to continue to Google FeedBurner
Sign in to continue to Google Finance
Sign in to continue to Google Knowledge Search
Sign in to continue to Google Map Maker
Sign in to continue to Google Maps
Sign in to continue to Google Merchant Center
Sign in to continue to Google Play Developer Console
Sign in to continue to Google Play Music
Sign in to continue to Google Scholar Citations
Sign in to continue to Google Sites
Sign in to continue to Google Translator Toolkit
Sign in to continue to Google Trends
Sign in to continue to Google Voice
Sign in to continue to Google+
Sign in to continue to iGoogle
Sign in to continue to Picasa Web Albums
Sign in to continue to YouTube
Sign in with your Google Account

I was moving in this direction already, but interesting to see it applied so broadly.

I imagine that if Apple wanted to add security features to their login system, they’d be unable to. Their login screen appears in dozens if not hundreds of places (different devices, platforms, desktop software, etc.).

Regards,

Ryan Feeley
Product Designer, Identity
Mozilla UX