FxA test server for FXOS devs (Was: Re: dev server is fixed (idp.dev.lcip.org))

Ryan Kelly rfkelly at mozilla.com
Mon Nov 18 20:29:57 PST 2013

On 19/11/2013 3:20 PM, Nick Alexander wrote:
> On 13-11-18 8:16 PM, Ryan Kelly wrote:
>> On 19/11/2013 8:33 AM, Jared Hirsch wrote:
>>> Actions:
>>> * stand up a new test server awsbox at, say, dill.dev.lcip.org [TODO:
>>> who can do this?]
>>>    * reuse current cert
>>
>> Since we've been busily re-naming things on the server side already,
>> let's take this opportunity to make the dev environment look more like
>> the proposed production environment described here:
>>

>> https://github.com/mozilla/fxa-auth-server/issues/295#issuecomment-28725360
>>

>> Today I will stand up the following servers in non-auto-updating mode:
>>
>>    https://accounts.dev.lcip.org
>>    https://api-accounts.dev.lcip.org    (formerly "idp.dev.lcip.org")
>>    https://scrypt-accounts.dev.lcip.org  (formerly "scrypt.dev.lcip.org")
>>
>> Does this sound OK to everyone?
>
> Sounds good to me, but why api-accounts instead of api.dev.lcip.org or
> api.accounts.dev.lcip.org?  That's what the name hierarchy is for,
> correct?  Or accounts.dev.lcip.org/api if there's some reason to not
> push down into the 5th level of hell.

Purely because these are the proposed names for each of these servers in
our staging environment.

Keeping them all under *.dev.lcip.org means we can re-use our existing
wildcard ssl certificate across all the machines.

The "-accounts" suffix is superfluous on our nicely isolated dev domain,
but I'm a big fan of consistency.  So if that's how they'll be named in
the staging environment, I think it makes sense to mirror that here.

But if folks hate it, do speak up.

  Cheers,

    Ryan