nuwa - process size reduction on b2g

Fabrice Desré fabrice at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 13 16:36:38 PST 2013

On 11/13/2013 10:08 AM, Lloyd Hilaiel wrote:

>> The template app on
>> datazilla
>> (https://datazilla.mozilla.org/b2g/?branch=master&device=hamachi&range=7&test=cold_load_time&app_list=templateo&app=template&gaia_rev=df92f0ebd89efbc6&gecko_rev=d62ac3ed7a650878)
>> currently starts in about ~200ms.
>
> there’s a big difference between 1900ms and 200ms.  There’s still a big difference between 200ms and 500ms.  Interesting.  Is it possible I’m talking worst case, and you’re talking average or best?

It's average of 10 runs (look at the graphs). The template app does
absolutely nothing else but loading a mostly empty index.html. We use it
as a yardstick for app startup performance since there is no gaia
overhead at all here (we're not even loading a js script).

The huge discrepancy you see in your case is interesting. Remember that
we load fast only when the preloaded process has been launched, and that
happens 5s after the previous app launch is done. We preload a lot there
so that may explain what you see, but I'm still surprised by the 1400ms
difference.

	Fabrice
--
Fabrice Desré