FxA Flows

Chris Karlof ckarlof at mozilla.com
Thu Nov 7 15:00:36 PST 2013

On Nov 7, 2013, at 9:16 AM, John Gruen <jgruen at mozilla.com> wrote:

> One more try...Fixed FxA Presentation:
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4ebdg3vnisxpey/fxa_flow_presentation.m4v

Really sweet John!

Comments:

1) Why the separate email and password entry for account creation and signup? Why are we so special that we need to do it differently from everyone else? Can we combine those into a single form?

2) Your email verification shortcut via the local Mail client app is cute, but I skeptical of the impact. How many people when prompted to check their email on a new phone will respond by setting up the local email client? That's not how I would do it (I'd probably do it on the Web), and given the prevalence of web mail, I'm not sure if the typical web mail user would even know how to set up the mail app. I propose we focus engineering effort on a way to improve email verification that will help the typical user's work flow.

3) I'm confused why Where's My Fox is in "Account Management". The vision I'm pushing is that you don't have a "Where's My Fox" account. You have a Firefox Account that you use to log in to Where's My Fox.

4) Similarly, I don't get all these permissions and options when you are signed in to FxA and you open Where's My Fox. How else would you sign in to Where's My Fox other than your FxA? Signing in to your FxA is SSO -- you are automatically authenticated to all relying Mozilla Services. However, note that "being authenticated to" is different from "being enabled". So even though you are automatically authenticated to Where's My Fox with your FxA, you still may need to explicitly configure or enable it after opening it for the first time. No surprises.

5) Related, on the final screen, I don't get the toggle next to each registered app. What does it mean to turn off the Marketplace toggle? If you do, what happens when you open the Marketplace App? This is confusing to me. FxA is SSO for all relying Mozilla Services. Log in to FxA, and you're automatically authenticated to all relying Mozilla Services.

I loved the video, but I was generally confused by what I considered "added complexity". Why the separate email and password entry? Why all the toggles and permissions for Mozilla Services attached to your Firefox Account?  Can we keep it simple? I think "worse is better" [1] here.

-chris

[1] http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html