Firefox Accounts DevOps next steps for November

Lloyd Hilaiel lhilaiel at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 6 05:20:31 PST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 11:40 PM, Ryan Kelly <rfkelly at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/2013 10:58 PM, Lloyd Hilaiel wrote:
>> Not going multi-region from day one makes me nervous.  Technology
>> selections which make it harder make me even more nervous.  Can we hit
>> HA requirements without it?
>
> Core outstanding question: what are our concrete HA requirements here?
> The clearest operational requirement we currently have is "get this
> thing stood up fast".  Hence MySQL, hence RDS.
>
> That said, we haven't taken a Cassandra solution off the table
> completely.  We're still working and coding with it in mind for the
> future, but there was enough uncertainty around it to justify removal
> from the critical path to shipping.

So I believe the earliest we will possibly have users hitting fxa on this is latish Q1ish.  That’s the time that we need “HA”.  As far as defining what HA means, how about you guys lead?

I also believe we should have a “reliable” FxA server for testing and development by the end of Q4.

My hope is that we could establish a train-like pattern of shipping FxA into production around the end of the year, and then lay out milestones to iterated to improve latency, performance, and HA - and weigh that against feature requests - and run this like a proper product.

As chris suggests, let’s outline the simplest possible deployment configuration and express it’s HA guarantee in terms of projected uptime percentage.

After this discussion, no, I’m not nervous any more.  My only lingering question is whether the RDS step is necessary, and how much it costs us if our ultimate trajectory is toward MySQL (and perhaps eventually C*).

(thanks everyone for tolerating my interruption and getting me up to speed on the thinking.  Is it worth a FxA deployment wiki that always has the latest deployment approach for involved components and next steps, so I need not ping via email?  Am I adding busy work when you guys actually like getting emails from me :P )

lloyd