11.01.13 Engineering Progress Report for Firefox Accounts and Sync.next

Lloyd Hilaiel lhilaiel at mozilla.com
Wed Nov 6 04:47:59 PST 2013

Ok.  Read the full thread.

Completely supportive of a decision to start with MySQL.  Rock on.

I challenge here only because this is news to me, and this is my fault for being on airplanes and in meetings more than is healthy for the last week.

A single-region short term milestone sounds fine.  I would urge you to schedule MySQL based multi-region soon after.  API access latency alone is a good reason to have servers on a couple continents.

Also, given this, it seems like decoupling of API server and Content Server [1] is smart.  Especially if jelly serving is stateless (client side secure cookies), we can mitigate API latency with a low complexity multi-region deployment of

Also, recent versions of mysql supposedly have much better tools for HA multi-region deployments.  I’d urge you to talk with jared and gene to from the start use a stable, but modern version.

Sorry for all the backseat driving here, but these topics are close to my heart.

<3,
lloyd

1: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Identity/Firefox-Accounts#Architecture