Firefox Accounts DevOps next steps for November

Chris Karlof ckarlof at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 5 15:26:45 PST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 1:40 PM, Ryan Kelly <rfkelly at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/2013 10:58 PM, Lloyd Hilaiel wrote:
>> Not going multi-region from day one makes me nervous.  Technology
>> selections which make it harder make me even more nervous.  Can we hit
>> HA requirements without it?
>
> Core outstanding question: what are our concrete HA requirements here?
> The clearest operational requirement we currently have is "get this
> thing stood up fast".  Hence MySQL, hence RDS.

It would be nice to have HA requirements written down. Mayo used to say that 15-20 min failover during a region failure would be fine, but that was before FxA was intended to support the world.

I encourage others to weigh in here. Left to my own devices, I'd lean to taking on more HA risk in the beginning in favor keeping things simple and nimble. I want to aggressively avoid Rube Goldberg complexity foot guns before we even have any users.

-chris