11.01.13 Engineering Progress Report for Firefox Accounts and Sync.next

Ryan Kelly rfkelly at mozilla.com
Tue Nov 5 15:17:58 PST 2013

To be fair: http://howfuckedismydatabase.com/mysql/

> 2) Our team can support MySQL in their sleep, but I can't say that for C*
> 3) The node driver for C* is immature.

That pretty much sums it up.  We're aggressively slashing risks and
unknowns all around this project.

> As temporary or permanent as anything else. We have no timeline or
> criteria to replace it. Danny and Ryan wrote the data store abstraction
> layer in the Auth Server to not rule out C*, but that's just because
> they're too wimpy to burn bridges. :)

:-P

FWIW I'm still bullish on Cassandra as a great fit for this problem.
But I'm even more bullish on getting something ready to ship sooner
rather than later.

>>   Finally, what is the sanest multi-region strategy available to us
>> leveraging our mysql learnings from persona?
>
> 2) Multi-master mode, slaving each other. (I don't know anyone with
> experience with this in production. If you do, speak up.)

I've previously spoken against this on complexity grounds, but thinking
about the shape of our data model, ISTM it could actually work OK.  It
would turn out like some Rube Goldberg approximation of a Cassandra
cluster with consistency-level=1.

Anyway.  A setup equivalent to current persona.org, with a single write
master and slaves in other regions, should work fine for us for a long time.

  Ryan