Intent to ship: A new front-end for addons.mozilla.org (AMO)

Stuart Colville scolville at mozilla.com
Thu Oct 12 19:38:12 UTC 2017

The AMO engineering team have been working on a new frontend for the main
user-facing parts of AMO for some time and on November the 2nd we will
release it to replace the current Django-based frontend.

We have some final improvements to make as we head towards the launch but
you can see the current progress on our public development server
<https://addons-dev.allizom.org/> (by default unless you opt out with the
"mamo" cookie set to "off") or in production <https://addons.mozilla.org/>
today if you click the soon to be redundant "View mobile site" link in the
footer.

[image: Inline images 1]

What started out as the mobile experience has now become a fully fledged
responsive website built as a universal, server-side rendered React App
making extensive use of a comprehensive set of APIs
<http://addons-server.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/api/index.html>.

In a lot of ways we see this as the start of a lot of interesting
possibilities on AMO, for example, we are going from having no tests for
client-side code to a code-base that has 95%+ code coverage. This aspect
alone will make it a lot easier to make future changes.

If you discover any bugs in trying things out, please file issues over on
github. <https://github.com/mozilla/addons-frontend/issues/new>

[image: Inline images 2]

Regards,

Stuart.

--
Stuart Colville / Engineering Manager AMO
IRC / Github / Bugzilla: muffinresearch